It's taken me a few days to write this post. We travelled out of state for Dance Competition #3 last weekend, and I'm left with mixed feelings about how the event played out. In fact, I'm still trying to process the whole thing and decide how I feel about it.
On one hand, our girls did a really terrific job.
On the other hand, Cassidy's routines didn't score high enough to win any overall titles or trophies. I don't think she really understands the scoring system, but she does understand that she gave the trio's first two trophies to the other two girls in the group. The third competition trophy was supposed to be Cassidy's, but they didn't earn one. Disappointing.
Leaving our little bubble of local events means competing against different studios, bringing new excitement and a fresh perspective. There's no way to know what dance studios will be at competitions before we get there. As luck would have it, we ended up competing against one of the top studios in the entire country... as in three-time FDC Pinnacle Cup Winner. The Pinnacle Cup is the highest award given by the Federation of Dance Competitions.
There are no words for how good these dancers were - calling them phenomenal would almost be an insult.
The good news is that we got to rub shoulders with up-and-coming dancers who will likely reach the ranks of professional dance. We gave them a run for their money and scored incredibly well considering what we were up against. All three of Cassidy's routines were awarded High Gold - a huge achievement, considering our yardstick was unexpectedly recalibrated!
I'm so proud of how our girls did, excited that we got to watch such beautiful dancers, thankful that Cassidy got to see where she could be if she works hard enough, and a little disappointed that the playing field was so skewed.
Bittersweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment