Sunday, February 24, 2013

Never Underestimate The Stamina of a 6 Year-Old Cheerleader

I never knew it was possible to cram so much into a weekend. And just when I think I can't possibly do anymore, I always find a way to up the ante.

This weekend is a terrific example...

I added in an extra game for the cheerleaders, just because we could. The game was a late addition to the basketball game roster that happened to be scheduled after Friday night's cheer practice, so I added it onto our schedule about two weeks ago just for fun.
Mistake #1 - Do not deviate from the plan.

Instead of scheduling girls into the game, I opened it up to whoever wanted to cheer. I figured the interest would be low - it was a last minute add-on that would stretch into the evening hours, and half of the team had to be back at the church at 8:30 the next morning to cheer for another game. Not very appealing, right?
Mistake #2 - Never underestimate the stamina and motivation of a 6 year-old cheerleader.

I had so many girlz that wanted to cheer, I accidentally lost count of how many volunteered. I knew the number was getting high, but I figured it couldn't be that hard, right? Well, we ended up with 16 cheerleaders. It was harder than herding cats, and I now know my Maximum Capacity for games is somewhere between 11 and 16.
Mistake #3 - Sometimes more is NOT merrier.

In spite of all my missteps, we got through it.  And the cheerleaders did a great job.

Saturday morning came way too fast, and we were back at church bright and early. The girlz and I cheered for the first game of the day, then we ran back home to get Cassidy ready for Mock Competition.

Mock Competition was held at a beautiful Cultural Arts Center located in a questionable part of town. It was a grueling afternoon, but the effort was so worth it. The girls need that opportunity to work out formation issues or costume malfunctions on a full stage before competing a routine. An added bonus is that the parents are free to sit in the audience and video or photograph to their heart's content.
Mistake #4 - Cell phone cameras are not suitable for every occasion.

I was not prepared and took no pictures. I did get the Trio on video, which was really the most important of the three to capture.

Once Cassidy had completed her routines, we packed the truck and headed for safer territory. We stopped at B-Dubs for dinner and Sweet Frog for dessert, where we ran into one of Campbell's BFFs.  This made her extremely happy.

Today is Betsy's birthday and the girlz wanted to bring some birthday balloons to church. I really wanted to get to the store last night, but was too tired. I chose to stay home and take care of it before church instead.
Mistake #5 - Procrastination rarely pays off.

This morning was a three ring circus in our house. We woke up late, Cassidy lost a tooth, and Lieutenant Sexy was trying to get out the door for work in the midst of mass chaos. I was hoping we'd be in and out of the store quickly, but that's never the case when you're in a hurry. The person in front of us in line paid with cash and the cashier didn't have enough $1 bills to make change. That was when Cassidy remembered that she'd left her Bible and Sunday School activity sheets at home, so we swung back by the house to get them.


Campbell can still wear her Palm Sunday dress from 2 years ago. I can't decide if this is awesome or disturbing.


We got to church on time (it was a miracle), and Betsy got her balloons. The girlz had a great time in Sunday School and I actually remember what the sermon was about.

We spent a few hours outside this afternoon, and now it's time to get ready for another week.



Somehow we got everything done and it turned out fine... which means I didn't learn my lesson and will likely continue to test my limits until I go too far one day and spontaneously self-destruct.

It's a personality flaw, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment