Mama was scheduled to play the music for their church's services yesterday, so we went to the early service at their church instead of going to our church. Even though it was kind of early, I really wanted to be there to hear her play.
Even though I've been listening to my Mom's music since I was in utero, I haven't woken in the morning to her practicing hymns and anthems since 1998. And now that she's retired from the world of Church Music, I rarely get to hear her play at all. I was worried we'd miss church because we'd been out late Saturday night, but we got there with time to spare.
We were settling into a pew with Papa when Mama sat down on the piano bench and started the Prelude. I recognized the song she was playing before she'd even played 4 beats. She was playing my most favorite hymn EVER -- the hymn I love more than any other hymn. I've mentioned before that I clearly have the southern gospel genome in my DNA, so obviously my favorite hymn is an old southern gospel hymn. You don't hear it much anymore, and I knew right away she was playing that song for me.
My eyes teared up and I was immediately taken back to a Sunday 20+ years ago. It was August of 1992. Dad and I were sitting in a different church listening to Mom play the Offertory. I was 17 and it was my last Sunday at home before I left for my first year of college. I was a ball of excitement and fear and anticipation and more fear. I vaguely recognized the song she was playing because I'd heard her play it a thousand times at home, but I didn't know the title or words. Dad leaned over and whispered "she's playing this for you". "What is it?" I whispered back. His answer? "You Will Never Walk Alone". Cue the waterworks.
It was one of those moments I suspect I will always remember so vividly, it's as if it happened just 30 minutes ago.
Yesterday morning was just like the Sunday morning so long ago. Three people separated us, but I could hear Papa's voice whispering "she's playing this for you" in my ear as those sweet southern gospel chords floated across the sanctuary.
Mama went on to play more of my favorites yesterday morning - a song I sang in our church just before Lieutenant Sexy's Dad passed away and another one I've sang for countless Stewardship Sundays. It was a wonderful surprise, and such a thoughtful thing for her to do.
After church, we celebrated Izzy's 3rd birthday. She's getting to be so big, and we were so happy to help her celebrate. Her party was at the local Children's Museum, so it was impossible to not have a GREAT time. The girlz had a blast, and it was a great way to wear them out!
Campbell driving the bus
We left our face prints in the wall!
And wrote our names on the portrait center...
So fun! We even saw some friends from church there, which was cool.
And now we're back to the craziness. Stay tuned -- we have lots of fun in store this week!!



No comments:
Post a Comment