Monday, May 19, 2014

The Last Competition of 2014

The 2013-2014 competition season is a done deal. I can't believe we've now got three full years of dance competition experience under our belts!

This particular competition was a new one for us - they've never come to our area before, so it was a learning experience for everybody. There were several good things about this one! First, I really loved the way they had the venue set up. They chose to rent two adjacent halls at a local convention center. One hall was the performance area with the stage, cameras, lights, judges, audience seating and concessions. The entire second hall was a dressing area. Space and proximity to the stage were not an issue at all. Very nice!!!

Their trophies looked different than other trophies we've seen, and I really liked that. Then again, I'm easily impressed by anything that is bedazzled with pink rhinestones!

This company published the detailed schedule early, which was also nice for mental preparation purposes. Their website had user interface functionality that allowed me to print my dancer's personalized schedules. Impressive.

Even with all the good things, it ended up being one of my least favorite competitions. There weren't any awards beyond adjudication and overall division placement - no routines or individual dancers were singled out for any special recognition. There were no Judge's Awards, Choreography Awards, Most Entertaining, Highest Score of the Day, scholarships to dance conventions or Nationals... nothing. The judges weren't introduced and weren't listed in the program. The other dance studios that were competing also weren't listed in the program. There was no interaction between the dancers and the competition employees at all. Overall, the whole experience was missing the crazy-cool-fun vibe of competitions we've attended in the past.

The trio competed at the highest level this time, which was a huge step for them! There were three levels of competition at this event - Performance (lowest level), Advanced (mid-level), and Competitive (highest level).

Here's how the adjudications and placements came out:

Double Dutch Bus (Competitive Level): Gold adjudication, 3rd overall
Dalmatians (Performance Level): Platinum adjudication, 2nd overall
Lollipop (Advanced Level): Gold adjudication, 1st overall
Production (Competitive Level): Double Platinum adjudication, 1st overall




I was super-proud of the girlz - especially their behavior. Cassidy had a super-fast costume and hair change from Dalmatians to Production, and I had given Campbell specific instructions on where to go and what to do during that 15 minute period. She was a rock star and did exactly what she was told. I just love that little nugget!

The girlz were excited that Mama and Papa were able to come watch a few of their routines compete. Papa wasn't impressed with the rowdy competition atmosphere - it's pretty much an anti-recital, which I knew he would hate. But at least he got to see the girlz in their element!

And just as quickly as it sneaked up us, another competition season has ended. We're already looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment