Sunday, March 20, 2011

God Has A Sense of Humor

Mama has often said God has a sense of humor.  It seems he was full of himself last night.


Each year, the 9th grade class at Big Girl School hosts a pageant for their major fundraiser.  The purpose of the event is to raise money needed to pay for their big expenses: Ring Dance, Prom, School Gift, etc...  The contestants are the high school girls and there are several filler pieces throughout the night to give the contestants time to change and prep for the next round of competition.  The idea is to bring in families of the younger kids that would probably not attend the pageant otherwise.  More people in the door means more money for the 9th grade fund.  One of the filler pieces is a "Little Miss Big Girl School" competition for the Kindergarten students.


I use the word "competition" very loosely, because there really is no competition - the winner is drawn from a hat.  For realz.


We knew it would be fast and simple - no more than 10 minutes from start to finish.  I had been diligent in preparing Cassidy for the outcome - there were 11 girls vying for the title of Little Miss Big Girl School, so clearly the odds were long that Cassidy's name would be the one pulled from the hat.


I told her (no less than 20 times) she would not win and this was purely for fun.  We had already been told that every girl would get a goody bag with a crown inside, and she was happy with that.


Sergeant Sexy and I had it all planned out:
1. Cassidy would prance around the stage and look pretty.
2. Someone else would be chosen from the hat.
3. Cassidy would be mildly disappointed (but not too much with the promise of a crown!)
4. A second loss would prompt the pageant phase to die a natural death.
5. We'd leave the event in plenty of time for a good night's rest.


That was the plan.  That's how it was supposed to happen.  Campbell didn't even take a nap yesterday afternoon - we were that sure we were leaving early.


Imagine our shock - absolute disbelief - when Cassidy's name was pulled from the hat.  We stayed until the end of the pageant (11PM!!) so she could get pictures taken with the new Miss Big Girl School.


Our plan for last night was clearly not God's Plan.  And there's no doubt about it, I'm sure God must have been doubled over laughing at the look on my face when Cassidy's name was called.


Yes, our Cassidy is Little Miss Big Girl School 2011.  And her desire to participate in pageants is stronger than ever.


The negative reinforcement idea was a FAIL.  But she sure did look pretty.


Dress: $19.99 eBay special
Low dolla, no holla!

Big Kassidy participated in the real pageant... she made the top 10!!

The Little Miss Big Girl School contestants

Cassidy and her escort

Cassidy was crowned by Miss Big Girl School 2010... the picture is blurry because I had turned off my camera.  I was THAT sure she wouldn't be picked.  Luckily, Big Kassidy's Mom got an excellent shot of the crowning!!

The Winner!

Cassidy with Miss Big Girl School 2011

Big Kassidy and Little Cassidy

Cassidy with Miss Big Girl School 2010

I won!  I won!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment