Monday, July 18, 2011

Campbell's First Dental Check-Up

Campbell had her very first dental check-up this morning!  When I made the appointment six months ago, the Office Manager and I agreed she would be just barely old enough to give it a try.  We set our expectations very low and decided this first appointment would consist of getting acquainted with the office, sitting in the chair, and maybe giving Dr. Shiny Chompers a chance to peek in her mouth.  Any examinations with the tools or actual teeth cleaning would be 100% optional, driven completely by Campbell and how she was handling the experience.


I bought a "Going To The Dentist" book at a Book Show about 6 weeks ago, knowing this appointment was on the calendar.  We've been reading it for several weeks now, and Sergeant Sexy made sure we read it last night.


I brought the Busy Bag and each girl got to bring a "friend".  Cassidy always brings My Melody to the dentist, Campbell chose to bring the baby doll Marissa and Lily gave her.


Both girlz did great.  In fact, they both did better than great - they did fantastic!!!


I went first and had my teeth checked and cleaned.  I made sure to point out how nicely I was sitting and how well I was following directions.  Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I really am pretty spectacular at following directions.


Cassidy's teeth were checked and cleaned next, and then she rinsed with fluoride.  By the time it was Campbell's turn, she could hardly wait to jump into that chair.  She surprised us all - not only did she sit nicely in the chair, she let Dr. Shiny Chompers check her teeth with the tools AND she let the Dental Assistant clean them!  What a brave, brave girl!

Cassidy and My Melody in the Hot Seat

Look at her... so proud!!

I could tell she was a little scared, but she was SO BRAVE!! 



Go, Campbell!!


I'm deeply thankful our children aren't afraid of Dr. Shiny Chompers.  I know many, many children (and adults!) are genuinely terrified of the dentist and I was concerned ours would be.  It turns out, we got two of the bravest girlz out there.  What a blessing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment